Friday, March 20, 2009

the drums the guys the voices the girls the choir

In Trujillo, our mission has three churches. I  go to the one we refer to as Larco church, a lot of our students come to this church, or if they visit a church, this is usually the one that they visit. We have a large and growing youth group that meets every Saturday night at 8... okay or later.. and we also have quite the awesome choir. Recently I started helping out with them, doing secretaryish work although I will not deny that i might prefer the name 'queen of the choir' to 'secretary' haha. I get the music together for the musicians/singers...which actually is quite the battle, trying to coordinate with those in charge and find the songs that they decide on each week. I also work with another guy in the church to put together the transparencies each week. We use transparencies for the songs each Sunday instead of books or a projector. So... you know... you can just refer to me as the queen from now on, that will suffice. ;) 
Here are some pictures from one Saturday practice... 

Our drum set, an interchanging Carlos, Benjamin, and Lenin:

Lenin, also the sound guy? Please take note of the floor, and how utterly slippery it looks... and imagine me in the background at a youth group event, my first one I might just add, flying across the floor in a very embarrassing superman pose after I fell in a game we were playing. In front of more than 20 people. ..yeah.
Josue and Dennys:
Bruno
Ivan, Elva, and Katy (Ivan usually plays the guitar, but he was helping out the girls, usually theres about.. 4-6 on Sunday mornings)


The twins, Benjamin and Josue, two of my most favorite people, ever. And yes it did and has been taking me forever to tell them apart, until I devised a trick of memorizing which one wears the silver glasses and which one wears the black ones. They are very musically gifted, and just awesome teenagers to hang out with. Conversations with them usually end up with one of us having some kind of nickname for a band or type of music.

Lastly, a photo... sorry for the quality.. of the form of transportation I usually take. We have taxis.. micros... combis... this is a micro which is basically a big bus. They run their set routes and we just hop on and off as we like for 1 sol. There are good and bad micro experiences, the crowded to the empty, the smelly to the full of fresh air, the ones that rock out to music so that you cant hear yourself thinking to the ones that are virtually silent... but one thing they all have in common is jarring and swerving enough to convince you to cling to your seat (which is why I couldnt get a clear picture). Occasionally there's a musician that will hop on the bus and play a song to see if they can make some money. Kind of like someone sitting on the street with an open guitar case. My favorite is this guy that plays this charanga (sorry if the spellings horrible..but its like a small guitar) while at the same time he plays a flute, and sings, while standing firmly planted on the bus. It's impressive. 

No comments: