Monday, March 9, 2009

these times they are a changin...

Well, for you... not for me. I forgot today that the time was changing (Peru doesn't do the daylight savings thing)... until I told a friend that I would be online to talk with her before five o'clock... so to my suprise she wasn't there at 4:15 my time. Well, a time change for you is a good enough excuse for me to give you some info from Peru. Wouldn't you say? So, mind if I inform you in two parts? Okay ;) 
part one: the students of the four o'clock conversation class.

For January and February for the hour between four and five o'clock I spent time with various students (of various ages... 14 to 40) for... conversation! In January the group was very very large, almost 15 students. It was so much fun getting to know each of them. We played a lot of conversation games, and discussed a wide variety of topics. We also experienced different kinds of food... I regret to say that I do not have pictures of the day we tried sushi.... many of them wanted to "take it home for later..." haha but we also made egg salad sandwiches together, which they loved. One day we made different kinds of cookies, actually one of the students came early to learn exactly how to make them. She is moving to the united states soon, and she didn't know how to cook! Another day we tried cocacola floats... that one... went over well with some students and not so much with others. The majority of the students loved them, but there were a few (see below) that.. well weren't fans. Either way, it was definitely fun to watch them experience foods from the united states. January and February were both a lot of fun for me. Getting to know the story of each student is like a new book, each student at a different chapter of their lives. Many of the students in those conversation classes are on their way out of Peru. One student, Alexandra, I became very good friends with, she helped me a lot with Spanish also outside of class. Alexandra moved in February to Spain where she is going to start studying medicine. There were also other students that were going back to Lima to their universities, or starting school altogether, and a couple that are moving to the united states soon. This month I am teaching a different class, but those two months were so much fun getting to know those students. 

Part of February's class:

Coke float fail:
The girls that 'tried' to improve my Spanish... hehe 
Part of January's class and Egg Salad Sandwich day:
Need there be words? ...Egg Salad... in the making:




1 comment:

~marie said...

hey julie!
you look so happy!
glad to see it :)