Wednesday, May 6, 2009

pizzas and diplomas

pizza!!!! every tuesday night the papa john's and the pizza hut here run specials for delivery customers... if you buy one pizza you can have a second for one sol.. a sol is our currency, about three of them more or less make up a dollar. 
many of my students are quite familiar with the world of pizza... but Bania had actually never experienced pizza before! I had her in my class.... sometime last year maybe November, when i first learned this and we spent too much time since then trying to figure out a time to get her to try out the food that we are so used to. in case you lost count... that was november... this is may. finally we found a time to spend together eating pizza. and, well shes a fan. so much so that in class today during a magazine activity she was drawn to the pizza section. 
it was a lot of fun, ordering in pizza, making peanut butter cookies, popping popcorn and just in general watching the interaction and personalities of my students outside the classroom.  here's a picture of the majority of us. 

Also.. at the end of April.. we had a graduation!!! I am very excited to share this news with you. Since coming to SALI in August, this class, although it changed so much with additions and subtractions along the way, has been very special to me. I was their teacher off and on, but more often than not, since I came to Peru. Often times they were my sanity at the end of a day. Our class began at 7:15 and ended at 8:45. For a while, the class that I had right before them... tested my limits to say the least, and this class was always there to remind me how to have fun during class. They studied very hard, each of them, and are now ready to take the TOEFL exam. That exam gives them credibility for knowing the English language, for visas or universities in the US or wherever their new skill takes them. 


No comments: