Thursday, June 11, 2009

36 hours in Lima

last weekend i took a trip to Lima! my tourist visa is expiring soon, and since I am planning to stay in Peru longer, I took the next step past a tourist visa and went to Lima to start the process of getting a religious visa, which means I can stay in Peru for a year at a time. Lucky for me, that I have been in Trujillo long enough now to have friends in Lima! How does that work? Well, a student of mine a few months ago, now lives in Lima working as an Engineer. So when I told her that I was coming to Lima, Vanessa offered to show me around her new city.

While I was waiting on Vanessa to finish work, I visited the Museo de la Nacion. It was free! :) and I could wander around the museum looking at art and history for as long as I wanted. 


In the evening I met up with Vanessa, and also with her friend Claudia... both of whom... were so excited to see me because they wanted to practice their English!!!! haha. we had dinner and window shopped for the evening, then finished with a few games of air hockey. Which I can proudly say that I introduced them too! I can't believe that neither of them had played before, but we had so much fun, and I am pretty sure that they are now just as addicted as I am. 

The next day in the afternoon we went by the plaza... and saw the presidential palace! Sadly we missed by just a few minutes, the changing of the guard. We heard it was very interesting to watch but we didn't get to see it ourselves. It was fun to wander the city with these girls, because they are new to Lima also and they were just as much a tourist as I was :)
The zoo!!! There is a zoo in Lima... and of course we went! I was so excited! And although I don't have a picture... I think the turtles were my favorite... they were HUGE!!!
half child - half tiger
real tiger -not so happy... he paced and paced... and roared and roared. he was quite the attraction.
and they were just sleepy :)
it was a lot of fun spending time in Lima, thanks Vanessa and Claudia!!!!

No comments: