Monday, June 22, 2009

Fast Track Inspiration

My time here in Peru, as all of you know, has been spent with SALI, teaching English... which is where the majority of my time is consumed. With that kind of work I have spent a lot of time teaching, preparing, talking with students, building up relationships with them. Which is wonderful and I love every moment that I get to spend with them. Especially this month in particular has been an exciting and encouraging one for me as far as my students. Although a small class, I have found a great connection with them. It is a fast track class, which is a little different from our normal classes, its... well faster.. and prepares someone for English that has a little amount of time to learn before needing that skill. Many times our students finish our Fast Track program then enroll in our regular classes. 
Well, this a class of all girls, so I feel that we are all a bit more open with each other. And, since it's a smaller class, we are getting to know more about each other as well. Vivian has a baby and she lives with her family, she is a wonderful mother. Diana has medical studies that keep her very busy and she is a great student. And Lorena travels to Lima about as often as I go to the grocery store, to help her mother with their work. I think that also an advantage for me from having a smaller class, has been me feeling like I could experiment more, be more open with my students about my life, my beliefs, and more intentional with them as well. We have had great opportunities to look at Bible passages on topics we talk about in class, as well as our time of prayer has really changed this month. We always finish class with prayer, but this month has been so much more special. And I feel that they each know that they can come with requests each day to class that they will hear me pray for them for. I think that our time has been incredible this month, and I am really looking forward to spending the next month with them as well, to see how our relationship increases as well as how God works in our class. Please keep each of these girls in your prayers, as well as our classes at SALI in general. God is truly working in our classrooms, and in our lives here! 

No comments: